Call Us630-331-9110

2445 Dean Street, Suite G, St. Charles, IL 60175

How Do I Change My Illinois Child Custody Agreement?

 Posted on February 12,2024 in Child Custody & Allocation of Parental Responsibility

Blog ImageChild custody is often one of the most contested items in a divorce, and coming to an agreement about parental responsibilities and parenting time can often take significant effort from both parties. Once this agreement has been made, however, there may be situations that warrant a change. It is important to meet with an Illinois child custody attorney to understand how to make changes to your child custody agreement.

Is It Possible to Make Changes to a Child Custody Agreement?

In Illinois, it is possible to make changes to your child custody agreement in certain situations. The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act outlines details about child custody and parental agreements in addition to stating that changes cannot be made to an agreement within the first two years of it being issued.

However, there are certain situations that may make your agreement eligible for change before these two years are up, such as:

  • One parent is convicted as a sex offender, putting the child at risk

  • The child is a victim of abuse, including sexual abuse

  • One parent becomes incarcerated and cannot care for the child

  • One parent develops health issues that stop them from caring for the child

  • The child’s grades are declining or they are developing social problems due to the current child custody situation

Additionally, a parent’s relocation may require a change to a child custody agreement. It is important to meet with a child custody lawyer before arranging your move to ensure that your child custody agreement can be modified as needed.

What if My Ex Will Not Agree to a Custody Change?

Even if your former spouse does not agree to a change in your child custody agreement, it may still be approved by the court. This is done when you can prove that the current custody situation is causing issues for your child, or that your former spouse is not able to properly care for your child.

The child’s best interest is always put first in cases of child custody and changes to child custody arrangements.

Contact a St. Charles, IL Child Custody Lawyer

Navigating child custody with your former spouse can be a difficult issue, especially if you have realized that your current child custody arrangements are not beneficial for your child. It may be possible to change child custody arrangements after they have been agreed upon, though you will need the assistance of a seasoned Kane County, IL child custody attorney to help advocate for you and your child.

Contact Weiler & Associates, Inc. by calling 630-331-9110 for a consultation.

Share this post:
Best Law Firms Emerging Lawyers Best 10 Avvo Leading lawyers
Back to Top